Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Weekend Getaway!

Earlier this year Scott and I started to talk about what we were going to do for Valentine's Day and our anniversary. We discussed St. George and then decided it would be too hard for me to get four days in a row off of work so we sort of dropped the idea of going anywhere. Well, the semester began and I got super depressed so we decided we would go stay at the Little America and relax for a few days- basically exactly what we did for our honeymoon last year. I was stoked! I've been looking forward to our trip for several weeks!

Friday night we had planned to do laundry and pack so we met up at home after work. Scott surprised me with red roses and chocolate :)


Saturday morning was Valentine's day and we woke up pretty early and gave each other our presents. I got him a Utes shirt and a Nike hoodie and a card. I also wrote him 14 letters (one for each day from the 1st to the 14th) of reasons why I love him and he read the last one. He wrote me the cutest poem and gave me a little stuffed dog. He also surprised me with a ring! We had gone shopping about a week before because I wanted to pick out a few for him to choose from so that I could still be surprised but also get what I want... cause, ya know... Anyway when I opened the box I was so happy and said "YOU GOT ME THE ONE I WANTED!" and he was like "I know." I loved all three rings I picked out, but I secretly hoped I would get the ruby. Scott is such a little gem ;)

I absolutely love it!

We got ready and headed to Chick Fizzle for some breakfast on our way to the zoo! Neither of us had been there in forever and it was super fun! We got there a little before 10 (an hour after open) and we got a chance to see almost all of the animals active before it got too warm and crowded. I loved the lions! And teaching Scott about what makes a grizzly bear a grizzly bear. My dad would have been so proud ;)
By the time we left there were at least 5,000 people standing in line at the gate

Inside the bird room!

They had written Valentiney things in honey on the glass so that the bears would come over to see the people! This one was licking so much! It was adorable.

We paid (WAY TOO MUCH) to ride the train (SERIOUSLY IT'S SO LAME IT SHOULD BE FREE) and then went to the gift shop to sit down for a while. We walked around the whole zoo one more time and by 2 there were just way too many (very sweet and adorable) children to really enjoy anything. Also everything was asleep. We went to Jimmy John's for lunch and then Target for new swimming suits. We checked in to the hotel and immediately went swimming!

The stupid train that doesn't even take you around the zoo >:/

This was BEFORE we knew where the train was taking us

  
Lions sleep 20 hours a day so we were lucky to see them moving around before the left one decided it was nap time

They were doing tricks with the baby elephant and it was so cute! Watching them eat and drink is really neat!

We had a nice dinner at the Coffee Shop downstairs and enjoyed a bottle of sparkling cider. They were pretty busy and it was getting late, so our waitress forgot about us for like 45 minutes. We just chatted and she finally came back with the check. She was a sweet old lady :) We watched the NBA All Star Saturday events and really enjoyed the slam dunk contest. I'm happy we were able to have actual TV to watch it because otherwise we wouldn't have!

Hallway selfie on our way to dinner :)

Sunday was our (FIRST!) anniversary and we slept in a little bit and Scott surprised me with more jewelry. He's such a little punk. He got me a necklace and earrings to go with my ring so that I would have a whole matching set :) I gave him a watch and then later we bought him some new shoes. I wish I would have known he was going to spoil me so much! I would have tried to stop him given him more stuff. Oh whale, he's still sweet :)

I love it soooo much!
Also I don't have a picture of the earrings but I'm sure you can imagine yourself some ruby studs ;)

We had breakfast at Village Inn and went swimming some more. We napped and watched a couple movies and lots of episodes of Friends. It was a pretty low key day and I loved it. We watched our wedding video that was made by Scott's grandma and uncle. It's definitely not fancy but it's such a sweet keepsake. I had no idea anything would ever come of all the video grandma shot of our wedding day but I'm so glad it did! It's so fun to see everyone and remember the perfect day :) Maybe one day we'll watch the uncut version (it's like 3 hours long!) but for now the edited version makes me so happy.

I decided that I wanted to take Scott to Cheesecake Factory for our anniversary dinner so we headed off to City Creek. Since it was Sunday we didn't see much of it but we did have a short wait time and that's more important than anything. I wanted to get cheesecake SO BAD but we were just too full. :( We're definitely going back soon!

So,quick story... Scott loves to give money to sign-holders. It drives me nuts because I'm a terrible person I feel like they are just lying, so going downtown with him is not my favorite. Anyway, we had some leftover bread (cause their bread is BOMB) in a takeout box and we were sitting on the train riding back to Courthouse. A guy came up to us and started telling us his story and asking for money or food, but I knew Scott didn't have any cash so it would be up to me if we helped him or not. I was thinking, "hey, I'm never ever going to eat this bread so I might as well give it to someone who might" and I handed him the bag. I told him it was just bread but he still looked really happy. He ran away and ate it and Scott was very proud of me. It was so not a big deal but it did make me feel better than just giving random strangers $5 bills. So yay for our waiter for giving us way too much bread :)

Monday we had to check out and I was so bummed. I always hate leaving! But at least this time coming home wasn't so bad because we were already moved in to our apartment, unlike last year. We drove up by the U and ate lunch at The Pie. It was so heavenly! Then we headed for home and dropped off our stuff and went to the dollar theater by our house to see Big Hero 6. It was SUCH a cute movie! We went home and then watched more movies/TV and played some card games for the rest of the night. It was such a perfect weekend and I loved celebrating our first year of marriage. I sure am thankful for my sweet Scotty :)

I told him to smile cute and this is what I got. Whatever.

 As hard as it was to come home, I really love having our own little apartment to live in.
Also, Meet the Robinsons <3

DFTBA

1 comment:

  1. What a fun get away! Happy anniversary! :)
    Loved the picture of the bear! How funny!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? :)